Monday, November 14, 2005

Tw7sted

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


The first-ever Jessica Zafra book I read was the second installment of Twisted. I was a senior in high school back then. And I got the book because my cousin gave it to me as a gift for Christmas. And I loved it. I read it over and over again. I eventually got to read the first installment and the four others in the series. I remember reading the entire fifth book in Powerbooks in SM Megamall. I was standing the entire time.

The Twisted series is actually compilations of her column entries on a national daily.


After reading seven books of bitching, whining and gushing, you'd think that I'd be bored with it. But, NO. This seventh book (eighth if you count the Twisted Flicks book) is proof that Jessica Zafra just continues to get better each time. And after I read it, my mind just screamed for more.

Jessica Zafra is not only witty, she is interesting. She makes the mundane interesting. And she does not simply bitch and whine. She substantiates her every emotion. And as I read about it, I too become convinced that her words are wisdom that should not be questioned. And what's even more attractive is her impeccable manner of writing and her use of language is simply flawless.

For this seventh book, her essays are categorized into seven categories. Journal is obviously about her personal experiences including tidbits about her cats, a house burning down and defrosting the refrigerator. Meanwhile, Current Events are all about politics and other news-worthy events. In Exercising Your Brain, Zafra suggests ways to prevent brain atrophy such as learning to be ambidextrous, writing backwards and learning a new language. Whacking is all about tennis and her tennis gods. Essays under Hearing are about music, Eminem and Kurt Cobain. Reading is about books and Watching about movies.

This book is certainly a ten. ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thought Twisted 7 was sort of come back from the 6th's overhaul of political bile and word-lashing. She's finally back to her old cheery yet cynical self.