Thursday, February 18, 2010

Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential

Kitchen Confidential Updated Edition: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly (P.S.)

Given my current obsession with cooking and all things kitchen, I thought it necessary to read the Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential. And I wasn't wrong at all.

It is a good read. Definitely very entertaining. Not thought-provoking but eye-opening. A lot of people think being a chef is a fabulous, glamorous job. After all, Giada, Emeril, and Bobby seem to be living the life. But the hardcore truth is... it's a dirty, demanding job that requires talent, really strong back and legs, and the capacity to take everything in stride.



And Bourdain says it all with sooo much wit. True, I have not done sex and drugs in the kitchen. But man, my culinary friends and our chef instructors are some of the most alcoholic people I know. So, yes, I was able to relate to Bourdain's tales.

It also scared the hell out of me.

But I think this book is not just for us who love to live in the kitchen. It's a good, fun, and funny read for those who would like to live or are already living doing so passionately what they love most. Kitchen Confidential shows you the underbelly and ugly truths of being a chef and how only the strong and passionate will survive it.

True, not all of us will live the high life and succeed like Bourdain did. But we can all live vicariously through him and his tales. ;-)

And oh, I've seen the TV series. It's also fun to watch, but miles away from the book. :)

No comments: