Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Currently Reading: F. Sionil Jose and Jessica Zafra

Beside my pillow are books by two of my favorite Filipino writers: the nosebleed- inducing F. Sionil Jose and the sarcastic Jessica Zafra.

I am reading a compilation of Jose's short stories entitled "Puppy Love and Thirteen Short Stories." The stories are hardly romantic and never cheesy. Rather, they provide a raw and sometimes grim picture of love and the lives of the people who love. The first story, Puppy Love, is my favorite one so far.


I have only started reading Zafra's Twisted 8 1/2. I don't really know why the book is 8 1/2 rather than 8 or 9. I loved the other books in the Twisted series and I am loving this one. It's funny and her sarcasm really gets her point across. Most of the time.

I am reading the two books alternately depending on my mood. I am only able to read a couple of pages before I go to sleep. Busy time.

I'm happy that I'm almost halfway through my goal of reading five books for 2010. I hope to accomplish more.

Thanks to Melo Villareal for my free AUTOGRAPHED copy of Twisted 8 1/2. :)

Next on my reading list is The Silver Chair so I can finally complete the Chronicles of Narnia. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Dean said...

Twisted 8 1/2 was awesome! It's the second "Twisted" book I've read, and it's fantastic. This one focuses mostly on technology. As you said, her sarcasm and wit is engaging. I can never get enough of her. Entertaining read...especially when you're stuck in NAIA3's pre-departure lounge with a congested nose four hours before boarding time.

On Miss Zafra's blog she explains that the "1/2" is because "I love the Fellini movie and because the book is half as thick as the regular Twisted books". :D

Ria Jose said...

Noticed that the book is thinner than the rest in the series.

You should read her other books. :)