Saturday, August 14, 2010

Currently Reading: Amarillo Slim: In a World Full of Fat People

Amarillo Slim in a World Full of Fat People: The Memoirs of the Greatest Gambler Who Ever Lived



I have recently received a new book: Amarillo Slim's Biography entitled In a World Full of Fat People.  I received it from Sir Gilbert Yap - Tan.

Amarillo Slim is one of the earliest's champions of the World Series of Poker and he lived most of his life gambling nd hustling.  Smartly.


I am currently reading the book, and the introduction itself is already very entertaining.
"If there's anything worth arguing about, I'll either bet on it or shut up.  And since it's not very becoming for a cowboy to be arguing, I've made a few wagers in my day.  But, in my humble opinion, I'm no ordinary hustler.  You see, neighbor, I never go looking for a sucker, I look for a champion and make a sucker out of him."

Amarillo talks frankly, in his distinct Texan cowboy nature, about his life, experiences and adventures as a poker player, hustler, and cowboy.  And he does it in a straightforward way that makes me imagine I am actually talking to a real life cowboy.

I am looking forward to reading the rest of the book.

Thank you Sir Gilbert Yap - Tan for the book! :)

No comments: